Sunday, May 17, 2009




(right image) Shall I be Mother? by Mark Tedeschi is an image containing one woman playing four different roles of a stereotypical family. I think the message speaks so unbelievably strong that image does not need any fancy lighting or special effects.

The artist is exploring thoroughly the interchangeability of gender and age which is such a strong issue throughout society and i think will probably continue to keep being a huge issue for a very long time. The quote "modern day battle ground over gender identity and roles" sums up a lot of what Tedeschi is saying through his image.

(left image) Cormac and Callum by Ingvar Kenne is probably one of my least favourite image which is quite bazaar because it is the winner of the competition. I think a lot of the reason i don't like it is because it is the winner. This fact raises the expectations of the image and they were simply no met from this. I find the photo very empty and leaves me unsure as to what it was that grabbed the judges attention. I found this image very easy to walk straight past.



Cormac and Callum

http://bjphotography.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/beth-jennings-photography-prize/


Shall I be Mother?


http://www.flickr.com/photos/35434651@N02/3367486896/

No comments:

Post a Comment